Thursday, April 19, 2007

All about the herb, man....

Today I decided to grow an herb garden. It is something I have been meaning to do for a while now. In fact, its been years. It wasn't until today that I felt I needed to run with the urge and be impulsive about it. So, with my handy Whole Foods 20% discount card I went out and only purchased a few to get me started. I decided to start off with three types of herbs- Echinacea, Lemon Balm, and Sage. Luckily Whole Foods has organic seeds which are hard to come by in conventional stores. I prefer to avoid the pesiticide, herbicides and gentically modified organisms. I figure I better do so since I plan to ingest them as concentrated tinctures, teas, and salads. And since I plan to do alcohol extraction for medicinal use I better stick to something whole. (and besides most of what we consider natural and organic herbs are on the endangered species list)

Besides that reasoning, I much prefer to cultivate more natural products since I find it is harder and harder to come by in such a short amount of time. At 28 I don't consider myself old, and at the same times it is scary that I can already see how so much of our food is contaminated and modified.

So yah, I started an herb garden. I should probably say what the herbs are for... another time, maybe. I'm not too hot on this blogging thing and I figure I would try it from time to time.

No comments: